This article will help you troubleshoot adding your Gmail SMTP settings into ChiDesk.
Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.gmail.com
Use SSL Tick Box: Ticked
Outgoing Port: 587 or 465
Username: Email Address
- For security reasons we recommend you generate an App Password to use for your smtp account password. Please follow the instructions in this article to set one app: Sign in with App Passwords - Google Account Help
If you are receiving a failure message when attempting to send a test email, it's most likely that Gmail has flagged the incoming connection as un-safe. You need to specifically allow it in your Gmail settings.
- Open up your Gmail account, you should have received an email with the subject "Sign-in attempt prevented" or something along those lines.
- Open up your email and click on the "Learn more" hyperlink
- Underneath "Access your account" click on the "Allow less secure apps" hyperlink > select "Turn On"
- You should get a yellow pop up saying "Updated"
- The security settings that was blocking the access of your Gmail account has now been turned off and your email sending should now work.
- Go back to ChiDesk and try to send a test email again.
If you are still receiving authentication errors you may also need to perform the below step, which allows logins from different time-zones on your Gmail account.
- Follow the link https://g.co/allowaccess and allow access by clicking the Continue button.
- Go back to ChiDesk and attempt to send a test email.